INSTA

Instagram

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Mama once told me...

Did anyone have a mom like mine? She tried to teach me how to sew for what seems like my entire childhood. Did I listen? NO. I was way too cool for sewing. Who sews these days? Don't you hire someone for that?

Ohh my naive ways have caught up with me because I LOVE IT! Thats correct folks, I love sewing. Sure, it takes time and energy and I kinda feel like an engineer calculating different dimensions, etc. Let me tell you a little story.

Almost a year ago, my grandma gifted me with her Featherweight Singer. It is a beauty. One glance and inspiration comes effortlessly. However, in that same glance, I get intimidated. Since I never listened to my mom, I hardly knew the basics of sewing and a vintage machine, well forget about it! My poor roommates from last spring can attest to this. I would see awesome dresses at goodwill that needed a little tweeking. All excited I would rush home and then just stare at the machine... I totally expected it to do all the work.

We recently brought the machine back with us to Colorado because once again, I was feeling inspiration. Well people, I did it! I opened the box and started sewing. I had some bumps along the way but I got results! I saw this awesome fabric at a thrift store for 54 cents and made napkins! No more trash from our napkins! The best part is, once I got the hang of it, sewing was easy!! I even called my mom for advice!

I know it might be silly. Everyone can sew napkins. It's 4 straight lines but the point is that I did it. No more "sewing machine intimidation" for me!! Yippee! MOM- I am growing up!!

[masterpieces]
I am feeling creative and since I only work 3 days a week, this is going to be a new hobby!




No comments:

Post a Comment