INSTA

Instagram

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Catching Air... and a lot of it



When you are an only child, you never imagine having sisters. Growing up, I longed for siblings and thats why I took so well to babysitting. I loved babysitting for a family of two little girls, ages one and almost three (when I started). Now they are 12 and 15. I can hardly believe it. In the beginning, I would be over there everyday during the summer starting at 7am and stay till dinner. Many times while their parents were working, we would eat dinner together. I taught them to play in the sprinkler and the joy of apples and peanut butter. As they aged, we would have dance parties to Taylor Swift and I even got them addicted to my favorite place, Camp Tecumseh. I love(d) Emily and Ava . They became my sisters and their mom a very close friend. I miss the Peterson girls. 

But I have to share something that brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud of those girls. 
Catching Air is a fundraiser that Ava started for Cistic Fibrosis. A good friend of hers has the diagnosis and she has been raising money for research and a cure. For those of you who don't know, Cystic Fribrosis is a genetic disease that causes thick, sticky mucus to build up in the lungs and and digestive tract, making it hard to breathe and fight infections as well as digest food. There is still no cure and even though years ago, it was considered a death sentence, today kids can live well past their teens and twenties. I remember when I was on the pulmonary floor at Riley Childrens Hospital, they said some kids were into their thirties now! Even though research has made great strides, these kids don't have it easy. We need to find a cure! 

I was reading a website that said 1 in 29 people carry the gene. It only take two parents who have the gene to pass it along. This one day could affect your kids or even family down the road.

If you want to check it out, please do. If you have extra money to sponsor a leap, I know Ava and she is honest. She would love your support. Feel free to visit her facebook page to read about what she is doing. LIKE her Facebook page! 

Check out a news clip about what she is doing here 
and watch the video. 




No comments:

Post a Comment